Sunday, December 21, 2014

The darkest of days

It's winter solstice and Finland is basking in light at 9AM like you can see:


My home is some 500 kilometers south of the polar circle so the sun does peek above the horizon today but only for about five hours. The dark period, called "kaamos" by the finns is known to cause melancholy and depression because of the extended lack of sun. I'm just happy we got plenty of snow in the last couple of days. Having a white Christmas was not a sure thing a couple of weeks ago.

Anyways, I have some wargames related stuff in the works even though I've been quite busy at work these last months (my own course to lecture, a conference in Kuwait and a brief teaching exchange to Mozambique, no less!). I'll try and finish some of that before the year ends so my score for painted minis for the year won't be quite as embarrassing! ;)

3 comments:

  1. Well at least there's some snow further up north then! Certainly makes everything look a lot "lighter" even if the sun isn't showing any more.

    Anyways merry christmas and a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you too, Samuli! It's definitely better now that we got plenty of snow. I went to work on my observatory visible in the middle of the field in the photo and the snow was almost knee deep.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that's definitely a white Christmas! I can see how only five hours of light a day would bring you down. Hope you have a merry Christmas :-)

    ReplyDelete